Many recent studies and research show how successful dental implants are. Dental implants are used to replace either single or multiple missing teeth. This is another alternative apart from the traditional dentures and we have made this available for our patients at Norcross Dental Associates. We want to make sure we offer a variety of services that will suit the individual needs of our patients.
What are dental implants?
Dental implants are metal posts that are surgically positioned into the jawbone of the teeth beneath your gums to provide support for your artificial teeth. One of the best advantages of implants is that no adjacent teeth need to be prepared or ground down to hold your new replacement tooth or teeth in place. In order to receive implants, your gums must be healthy and you should have adequate bone to support the implant. And to ensure long term success of the implant, proper oral hygiene and regular dental visits are important.
Dental implants come in a many shapes and sizes to suit the different teeth they replace, and for the types of prosthetic teeth they will replace. They are generally roughened by sandblasting and acid etching instead of being smoothened or machined, which dramatically increases the surface area to which the bone can attach.
What is involved in getting dental implants?
The first step in getting a dental implant is the development of a treatment plan based on the patient’s need. The plan is prepared by professionals who are specially trained and experienced in oral surgery and restorative dentistry. Next step is the tooth root implant placed into the socket of the missing tooth. Once the implant has bonded to the jawbone, a small connector post — called an abutment — is attached to the post to securely hold the new tooth.
What are the advantages of dental implants?
- Dental implants are known to be safe and effective.
- Dental implants improves your appearance as they literally look and feel like your own teeth. They also become permanent because they are designed to fuse with the bone.
- It also improves speech as you need not to worry that teeth might slip, unlike what is happening when you use dentures, especially when they poorly fit.
- It makes you feel comfortable because they have become a part of you. It does not give you the same feeling of discomfort that the denture gives.
- It makes eating easier as dental implant functions like teeth. It also allows you to chew without feeling any pain.
- It improves your confidence and self-esteem because it gives you the ability to smile without having to worry about missing tooth.
- It is long lasting and durable especially when proper care is applied
- It is more convenient to have compared to dentures as you will not have to remember to remove them before sleeping and put it back on in the morning. You will not need any adhesives to keep them in place.
- Teeth restored with dental implants cannot get cavities! An replacement tooth, or crown, doesn’t decay like a natural tooth, but you still must brush, floss and care for it and your surrounding natural teeth and gums in the same manner as natural teeth. Regular professional cleanings and dental check-ups also are essential.
- Dental implants are the only dental restoration option that preserves and stimulates natural bone, actually helping to stimulate bone growth and prevent bone loss.
How effective are dental implants?
Patients should have healthy gums and bones in order to receive dental implant successfully. They also should be committed to maintaining good oral hygiene habits and regular dental visits. Those who do cigarette smoking or patients with chronic disorders such as diabetes or heart disease, or patients who are undergoing radiation therapy need to be examined first by the dentist.Implants may be less successful for people who smoke, grind or clench teeth or have a history of radiation therapy. Patients with diabetes or osteoporosis who have bone loss in the jaw may also be at risk for complications. When implants fail, this is normally because of poor oral hygiene, or too much pressure on the implant structure and cause it to move.
Contact Norcross Dental Associates for best dental implants in norcross,Located in Technology Park,5448 Spalding Drive, Building 100 Suite A, Norcross, GA 30092