The thought of having a tooth extracted is never pleasant; however, some instances makes it highly necessary. There is a chance that dentists would require a patient to undergo an extraction procedure to avoid oral problems and complications from developing or worsening. For instance, impaction or infection that is left unattended will cause pain and worsen if measures are not taken; so as the overcrowding of the teeth which can lead to the formation of cavities.
At Norcross Dental Associates, we assure our patients that we perform extractions as carefully and comfortably as possible. Aside from a knowledgeable staff, we also offer dental amenities like chairside computers, blankets, and digital x-rays to make the experience pleasant. Sedation dentistry options like Nitrous Oxide will be even used to guarantee comfort and convenience.
Do know that we are not only committed to providing care for our patients at the office but we extend it to the comfort of their own homes. So, for patients who underwent or are supposed to have their teeth extracted, here are some tips we prepared.
Tips for Extraction Aftercare
- Get enough rest after the procedure. To do so, make sure to ask time off from work or school. Avoid any strenuous activities for at least 24 hours for faster recovery. When lying, keep the head in a slightly upright position.
- Chew on the opposite side of the extraction site or better yet, consume soft foods to allow the formation of a blood clot.
- Take prescribed medications as directed by the dentist to ease any pain and discomfort during recovery.
- After eating, gently rinse the mouth with saline (warm water and salt) solution.
- Reduce swelling by placing an ice pack against the cheek. It should be performed the day after the extraction for it is unnecessary after 24 hours. Apply the ice pack in 15-minute intervals for 1-2 hours for better results.
- Do not use the tongue or fingers to poke on the extraction site for this can disturb the formation of a blood clot which can lead to a dry socket.
- Avoid sucking motions like when sipping, drinking through a straw, and smoking.
- Never take aspirin as it can cause the blood to become thin. It can as well prevent the site from healing since blood clot formation is delayed.
Looking for a safe and pain-free Teeth Extractions in Norcross, GA? Book an appointment with us at Norcross Dental Associates! We have a caring and dedicated staff to help you feel pleasant during your dental appointment.